Saturday, October 25, 2008

Domestic bad luck

Today was a lot of fun. I've made it a routine to have pancakes on Saturday mornings and the kids can eat loads of them. No sports class today so we took a field trip to the dreaded Walmart. I knew this was the place to buy all the Halloween crap I wanted at a reasonable price. This meant a trip out to the boonies where I found gas at $2.39/gallon--woowhoo! Everytime Halloween goes by I wish I would've decorated and had more fun with it. This time I decided to go for it and even plan a little party for the kids on Friday; something special while Dad is gone. We bought so much fun stuff: pumpkin garland, window clings, a table cloth, door mat, spiders, candies, cupcake decorations. We carved pumpkins, hung up garland and lights, and decorated the pictures on the wall with spiders and webs. Then we played "Let's Go Fishing":

BEFORE


DURING


AFTER (Mine is on the left, Chayla's is on the right)


FISHING


This is why Mateo's pumpkin was not carved


After all that fun I tried to make dinner but, the oven caught on fire! This did not happen because I don't know how to use an oven, but because of the bad luck I have had in my house for the past few weeks. The kitchen floor is being redone and I've had one issue after another. The last of which was that the contractors spilled a frying pan full of oil (gross, I know) all over the stove and didn't bother cleaning it or telling me. When I tried to bake a pizza today the oven caught on fire. The grease was burning and I tried to put it out by blowing at it! I thought it was a piece of bread or something that fell through the cracks. I turned off the gas and then called my Dad to help. He had the brilliant idea of using the fire extinguisher. That worked much better than trying to blow it out (ha!).

No comments: