Thursday, October 2, 2008

Cooperation

Just got back from watching the Biden-Palin debate. Since my expectations were low, I think she did better than I thoght she would. I know some 10th graders who could've come up with better answers though. Geez.

I co-oped today. It went MUCH better than last time. I arrived on time and Mateo was very cooperative. He hung out while I helped prepare the class for the day and only cried when he had to stay in the playground while I stood in the parking lot for drop-off duty. Today they had a special visitor, Ms. Betsy, their music teacher. She successfully engaged the only two girls in the class while most of the boys cried or just sat and watched. I'm convinced that women are really the ones who are the born-leaders.

Mateo did well with the other children until we got in line to wash our hands. E pushed Mateo in line. Then he pushed him in the bathroom (they were fighting for the hand dryer)and Mateo stood his ground and pushed him back. E is 3 inches taller. As a fan of Mixed Martial Arts and Boxing, Freddie would be proud of his not-to-be-bullied son. He grew more confident every moment. By the end of class he was asking his teacher: Kafy, what you doin Kafy? He's normally the serious, silent type. Today was progress!

I took Mateo to his weekly playgroup and Chayla stayed home to play with her friends, as she has already completed her Kachina doll 6 days in advance and had no HW. At the playground I could see how Mateo has benefited from school. He interacted with his friends and even the big boys there. He tried to include the girls in play and help them come down from high places. Que cute! When we got home Chayla was in the backyard w/her friends but a few minutes later they rang the front door. I open it to find 4 kids, three holding instruments and one a hat with a note attached to it. It read: "Music for money". They had collected $2.25 from neighbors. I wonder if they knew Chayla only started her violin lessons today!

The weather has finally changed. It was the first day that it was cool from dawn to dusk. As I drove up our street I noticed the trees have begun to change color. It's a nice way to start October and it's a nice reminder that we're that much closer to Freddie's homecoming.

2 comments:

Angela and David said...

Good for Mateo standing his ground. Sounds like he's got quite a personality. And "music for money" on the first day of lessons is pretty classic.

jtrain said...

I did something similar to Chayla's "Music for Money". My friends and I did gymnastics and decided to get money by putting on a performance to Madonna's "True Blue" album. We weren't as successful as Chayla and her friends. Though, things are inflated these days... :)