Tuesday, October 14, 2008

It all works out

Today was one of those days I questioned my ability to be a good mom. I think I'm a pretty great mom on any regular day, but I'm constantly looking to be the best I can be. I don't operate in the same way some mom's do who buy all organic food, never let their kids eat candy or watch TV, have their kids in various activities through out the week and read to their kids for hours every day. Many moms like that need nannies or people who clean their houses. I'm realistic. I just want my kids to be happy and feel like I love them.

Tuesdays are packed so I feel like I have to choose between necessities, one of which is getting some exercise. I often wonder why so many moms "let go" of themselves. Well, not everyone is disciplined in the same way, and I'm certainly not disciplined with exercise. I can see how so many of us put ourselves last. It's so easy to forgo what one needs to make sure your loved ones are ok. Without Freddie here (physically and emotionally since we can't even talk!)I DO have the time to focus on myself even if I have to do everything else on my own. As I wondered when I should go work-out, I made sure that during the course of the day I had spent enough time with Mateo. I feel better about going to the gym knowing he was napping, but nevertheless I wondered if I do enough for him. I wonder if I'm not causing Chayla irreparable damage with my demands on her to be respectful, mindful, and studious. I decided to work out and when I got home I was in a great mood, received a package from Freddie and gave Chayla good news. Shortly thereafter I went to Mateo's crib and was greeted by a handsome boy who was unbothered with my workout.

Then I gave the kids the stuff Freddie sent them, read his AMAZING letters, and reflected upon a successful day, knowing I still had the rest of the evening to go! It's tough job, but someone has got to do it. They make it worth it:

Our lunch date at McDonalds (gasp!)


Goodies from France & Scotland:


That's right, a Spider-man comic book in French!

1 comment:

Angela and David said...

Congrats on getting a workout in! You are my trailblazer. I'm going to be asking you for lots of advice.