Wednesday, October 15, 2008

It takes a village

Today I accepted an award from the Governor's Commission on Hispanic Affairs for Educator of the Year. I was flattered and humbled to be in the presence of people who dedicate EVERYTHING to help the community. As a young educator, I hope to be like the abuelita they honored today with a Lifetime Achievement Award, whose only words of gratitude were, "I love my students!" The keynote speaker was incredible. He is a Neurosurgeon at John Hopkins who came from Mexico as a child, was a migrant agricultural worker, and eventually became the 1st Latino valedictorian at Harvard Medical School. Wow.

Here I am with the wonderful woman who nominated me, Genny Segura (Policy Analyst for the MD Commission on High Education):



I sped back to school to prepare for the 1st Hispanic Family meeting of the year. I returned home to cook dinner, deal with the electrician, change clothes and go back to school for the meeting. It was a little unorganized, but our parents are so patient and grateful for the help. I was touched that they wanted to sign a petition to try to convince the school district to keep funding my position. I worked with some amazing teachers and got great feedback from parents. While Wall Street runs amok with greedy capitalists, it's touching to work alongside people who care about those in their communities. We all need to change the culture of education in this country. We can begin with accepting the belief that it really does take a village to raise a child.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vicky,
Great to see pics of my beautiful great neice and nephew. Wow, they are growing so fast. You are doing a great job. Keep it up. Freddie sent me a postcard from Scotland. Hope to see you soon.

Jocelly said...

Felicidades Vicky! That's awesome about you award. And I'm glad Spidey is teaching Mateo some French. :)

Memória said...

Yeaaa!!!! ¡¡Felicitaciones, Vicky!! I'm so proud of you! You're doing an awesome job as a parent, educator, and everything else haha.

Take care!

frabjouspoet said...

CONGRATS!!!! I'm so happy for you. I want to share this with my students (esp. the keynote speaker; they need to hear these stories so they know they have more options than working in the fields).

Angela and David said...

Congrats Vicky! You rock. I'm so impressed with all everything you are doing these days with your own kids and the community.